Choosing the Right Case Management Software: FAQs & Tips
Technology is the key to accelerating social change. Rather than relying on dated systems like paper-based documentation and spreadsheets, social good organizations require powerful tools that can adapt to their needs and support their growing missions. Case management software is the most viable solution for keeping detailed records and managing workflow.
In this guide, we’ll explain the importance of investing in a system that can handle your programs, cases, and projects with ease.
5 FAQs About Case Management Software
Review these common questions to discover what case management software is and how it can help your organization. With this foundational knowledge, your software search should be a breeze!
1. What is case management software?
Case management software provides your organization with one central location to track and store client data, such as contact and billing information, case notes, appointment scheduling and history, and client communications.
2. How does case management software work?
There are three main functions of case management software:
- Intake: Rather than spending hours manually collecting and inputting demographic and client need info during initial intake, digital intake forms can capture necessary data in a matter of minutes.
- Case Management: Case management software helps to manage your workflow and address your clients’ needs by providing tools to record notes, answer service requests, flag issues, send and receive emails, and set reminders.
- Reporting and Evaluation: A case management system has strong reporting tools that help your team visualize trends and evaluate data so that client success is quantified and qualified rather than simply anecdotal.
From gathering information to streamlining your workflow, adopting a case management system will help grow your impact.
3. Why is case management software important?
Case managers often work with dozens of clients and collect hundreds of data points. Keeping track of these interactions and metrics can be difficult without the help of a reliable tool like case management software.
A case management system stores your client information in one place, making it easy to do the following:
- Increase productivity. Rather than manually inputting data and managing your operations from multiple spreadsheets, employ a case management software to streamline the process. That way, your staff can log activities, make notes, delegate tasks, and schedule events within the same intuitive interface.
- Create reports. Client progress and other metrics can be easily tracked and displayed using the reporting tools in case management software. This gives managers and other senior employees an overview of how the agency is performing and helps to pinpoint opportunities for improvement.
- Collaborate between caseworkers. Information in the management system is automatically made accessible to employees working on a case, allowing for increased accountability and effective collaboration between different teams or departments.
- Reach out to clients. Caseworkers can send communications directly to their clients using their case management software. These communications are automatically tracked, so you never have to worry about missing something.
With case management software, you’ll spend less time on keeping track of your tasks, lists, notes, and deadlines, and more time on building meaningful connections with your clients.
4. Which organizations benefit from case management software?
From customer service representatives to doctors offices, any organization looking to bring order to an otherwise complicated workflow can benefit from case management software. Law firms, for example, can use these platforms to automatically collect and keep client interactions organized in one central place, allowing for a comprehensive view of each client’s record.
Human services and nonprofit organizations that still use paper as their primary method for recording client information can also benefit from case management software. Storing physical papers in filing cabinets can be time-consuming. Plus, you run the risk of damaging or even losing valuable files. With the right software, everything you need is available in a searchable database.
Organizations that work with outdated or unsupported systems, which provide them with only basic functionality, may not be able to produce the reports and insights they need. Employing a comprehensive software solution would allow these organizations to improve the accuracy of their data, ensuring that all staff have access to detailed and consistent client information.
5. What are some essential features of case management software?
The right case management system should meet the unique needs and processes of your organization. Keep these key features in mind when searching for the best solution:
- Workflow Automation: Case management software often has automated processes that reduce human error and improve data integrity while freeing up your team from administrative tasks.
- Mobile Compatibility: A mobile optimized interface allows your team to keep track of staff, clients, and resources, and get a snapshot of how your organization is performing at any time. This is also useful for submitting notes and completing tasks while out in the field.
- Secure Data: With a case management system, you’ll have peace of mind that your clients’ sensitive data is secure. Not only does it keep your files safe, but the software also performs automatic and regular data backups, should a crash occur.
- Smart Forms: Most software allows you to create forms, outcomes assessments, letter templates, and surveys that have smart features, such as auto-populated fields and e-signatures. These features help to improve the accuracy of your data and create a more convenient process for everyone involved.
- Integrated Billing Capabilities: With an integrated payment processor, you can invoice clients, create financial reports, manage grant funding, and track funds all in real time.
These effective case management tools will help your team improve their workflow and ensure clients receive the best possible service.
Tips for Choosing the Right Case Management Software
With so many case management software options out there, it’s important to find one that meets your agency’s tracking, reporting, and communication needs. While features are important to look at when deciding which system to choose, there are also lots of other questions to consider, such as:
- Does the provider offer quality, ongoing support?
- Is it easy to retrieve and report on the data you collect?
- Can the system be configured to fit your organization’s unique needs?
- Can you make minor system changes without having to go through the provider?
- Can the software (and the provider) grow and adapt with your organization?
It may seem difficult to find a case management software provider that checks all of these boxes, but have hope—there is bound to be a solution that can maximize your impact.
Ask yourself if your current process, whether you’re using software or paper tracking, is meeting your needs. If not, it might be time for an upgrade. Change isn’t always easy, but it’s worth it, especially when the payoff is a case management system that improves your day-to-day operations.